This is part of a series of inquiry-based provocations for essential elements of the PYP. For more, click here.
The PYP unit, How the World Works is designed as:
“An exploration of the physical and material world; of natural and human-made phenomena; of the world of science and technology.”
I believe one of the biggest overarching concepts — stretching across the “physical and material world” –is the concept of perfection. We search for it. We strive for it. We pay billions for it. And yet, it remains elusive.
Moreover, imperfection possesses its own beauty — the persistence, the originality, the innovation.
Below are three resources that could take your class in many different directions as they explore the idea of perfection/imperfection in the world around them:
Resource #1: Unsatisfying, by Parallel Studio
Resource #2: Forms in Nature
Resource #3: Audri’s Rube Goldberg Monster Trap
- Why is imperfection so much more common than perfection in the world?
- How do people respond to imperfection? Why?
- What is the purpose of imperfection in nature?
- What is the purpose of imperfection in human’s creations?
- What does the growth mindset have to do with perfection/imperfection?
featured image: DeathToTheStockPhoto