Take a look at Pamela Kennedy’s “Perpetual Motion in Room 17” time lapse video:
What do you observe?
- Flexible seating choices
- Variation in working in pairs, groups, or independently
- Confidence regarding when and where to be
- Order and efficiency, yet choice and flexibility
Now take a look at Mr. Humphrey’s class:
Additional observations I make here include:
- Freedom to set the pace of learning
- Respect for students’ decision-making in how they explore concepts
These are both wonderful examples of what can happen when we allow students to drive their own learning. And as students continue to steer more and more of their learning, I wonder what the next steps will be in each of these classrooms in furthering that ownership?
featured image: DeathToTheStockPhoto